Sunday, January 3, 2010

Making My Own Pizza Bagels

I picked up some Bagel Bites because with a sale and coupon it was quite reasonable for a quick snack. The boys had of course seen the ads on t.v. and had it in their minds that their childhood wouldn't be complete without the opportunity to at least try this preadolescence delicacy.

So I let them. And they loved them. I didn't love the price per serving and how little of the good stuff was on the ready-made version.

Time to raid the pantry...




With a jar of homemade pizza sauce, some cheese we had in the freezer and these really cute mini pepperonis we had bites of bages for days. I will say I made some minor modifications to the sauce by adding a teaspoon of sugar to balance the flavor and a teaspoon of baking soda to take the "acidy" feeling that comes with any tomato-based product. Let the sauce sit before closing the jar since it will bubble a bit, but this did not affect the taste.

To put these darlings together I sliced the mini bagels found in the refrigerated bread section, but I think any kind of bread would do (think old school English muffin pizzas of yesteryear). I smeared a tablespoon of the sauce on the one half of a mini bagel and then topped with cheese for my 8-year-old. My 10-year-old prefers pepperoni so I topped his with those itty bitty pepperonis.


Then I threw them all on the stoneware pan and into a preheated 350 degree oven and waited for the cheese to get all melty and gooey. Served with a sliced melon.

Yum.
..

No comments:

Post a Comment