Here is the before picture of my hand me down bench. It had been in my mom's bedroom for a long time and she decided she was done with it. I loved the lines, but the color was an green-gold and sort of blah to me.
So since it's raining outside today and my car is in the shop I decided this was a great day to tackle the reupholstery project. The bench has been in the garage a long time. First I brought it into the house, dusted it off and unscrewed the metal frame from the seat cushion backer board. I saved the original black mesh cover, the screws and and the board so that I wouldn't have to redrill.
I fell in love with this fabric in the clearance bin at JoAnn's. It's bright and uses the colors that I love - red/orange, gold, turquoise and lime. Then I laid the fabric on the floor print side down and centered the cushion on the part of the print I wanted showing.
Next, starting from the sides I used a heavy-duty staple gun to tack down one long side of the material to the backer board. After one side of the fabric was secure then I could pull tightly to smooth the out any wrinkles and staple the other side. I went gonzo stapling the fabric so that everything would stay in place, but it helped that I kept the original fabric on the cushion. It was a flannel type fabric so it added padding and gave the heavy canvas that was now on there some grip.
To cover all those staples I replaced the black mesh fabric and stapled it to the fabric and backer board neatly. Finally I repositioned the metal frame back on to the board and used the original screws to put everything back together again.
And there you have it! I placed this bench in my dining room because when we have family dinners we never seem to have enough places to sit. It's one of the hazards of having a very large extended family. This bench will pull up nicely during a meal and then serve as a landing pad for back packs and purses at other times.