Friday, February 26, 2010

Teacher Appreciation: Cake Balls

Last week when I was teaching the Pre-K babes one of the other teachers raved about how much she loved the cake balls she got for her birthday. I said I had never had them, but I knew how to make them if she wanted me to make her some. With Teacher Appreciation week right around the corner I thought this would be a fine time to get my hands dirty...er, um...cakey.

I figured I'd make as many as I could and then give some to each teacher in the school that had asked me to teach in their classroom more than once. As it turned out my kids' teachers also had used me as a substitute in their class so they got a double whammy.

I can't beat Bakerella's instructions so I think you should just follow her teachings. The only thing I did different is that I went with different flavorings.

I will fully and readily own that I need to work on my dipping technique. I used a double boiler to melt the chocolate and that was overkill. I got much better results with the microwave method melting just enough at a time. The other thing that helped was to keep the cake balls frozen so that they didn't crumble in the chocolate.
So while the cake balls themselves could use some practice, nothing can distract the recipient quicker than pretty packaging. I bought a boatload of clear (recyclable 4) clam shells at the local restaurant supply house and used them along with bright coordinating ribbon.
Happy Teacher Appreciation week! Thanks for repeatedly sharing your students with me this year.

..


No comments:

Post a Comment