Thursday, June 17, 2010

Recent Treasures Found

Since it's summer and school is out I have time to scour the Treasure Stores for fabulous pieces at low, low prices. I ask the boys to go with me, but so far they're not digging the shopping experience. Still I'm managing to get them to check on half.com, craigslist or eBay when considering a purchase so hopefully my penny-pinching ways are rubbing off on them.

First let me apologize for some of the pictures. I'm slowly getting that the camera on the phone is not the best way to convey an image sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to haul out the big ol' grandmama camera if I'm in a store trying to get an inspiration shot, but for things that are already at home I should take the time.

Anyway...

I picked this black dresser up at Goodwill for $19.99. All wood and cute as a button. Why so relatively inexpensive? Because the top isn't attached. That's right, the whole top of the dresser is just sitting prettily on top of the drawer case. Makes me no nevermind though. All I need is some wood glue, long enough finishing nails and some touch up paint then we are as good as new. The silver knobs and handles aren't my thing so I'll need to replace those as well. I'm thinking glass. It will take some time to find what I want, but I know it's out there waiting.


I am always looking for inspiration and this time it comes in the form of a coffee table book. I found this little gem at my Secret Thrift Store for $2.99. Hard cover and practically brand new. There are some really good ideas in there and it looks pretty to boot.


You'll recognize the bench from a past reincarnation post. I'm still deciding if I'm okay with the brass legs. As I sit here looking at the current picture I'm thinking no. I will probably go back in and paint it black. You'll know as soon as I know for sure.

But under that bench you'll find a basket that I'm using for shoes. We're trying not to wear shoes in the house. Our house only has carpet in two rooms now, our bedroom and my craft room. The rest of the house is wood or tile so the dirt and dust builds up fast. We're hoping to keep the grit at bay by not wearing shoes in the house. This basket is to corral incoming shoes. So far it's hard to break a habit, but I digress.

Floor...shoes...ah, basket!

This basket was also purchased at Goodwill for $2.99. I swear I can't buy a new basket. Even at -%40 at the craft stores they're still expensive. I'm more than happy to wait until someone gets tired of their old basket and donates it. Then I'll pick it up for a song and help the environment as well.



I've been looking for a lamp shade for a wayward lamp for about 6 months. I happened up this gem at Goodwill for $1.99. I love purple! The trim matches a brown lamp shade I also have in my living room so there's chemistry. I love it when things just fit!


The table you see is also a Treasure Store find. This one came from a shopping expedition with my cousins. Once a month we go out to lunch and check out the nearby thrift stores. We also check out thrift stores when we go on vacation. We're a wild bunch.

So while we were in foreign-thrift-store-land I saw this stair step bookshelf. I'm not really even sure what it's supposed to be, but my best guess is that it used to be library stairs because there are wheels on the bottom. I wouldn't trust my 11-year-old's weight on it let alone mine, so we're finding an alternate use for it. It was a little past my "price pause", but it's a really cool piece. The shelf was $24.99 and even after having it in the house for awhile I don't regret the purchase one bit.


Now if I can just get the boys to quit using the shelf to house their free weights.

..

No comments:

Post a Comment