Monday, November 8, 2010

Thrifty Ottoman Fix

I have boys. That means it's hard to have anything nice. They dirty, smudge, mess up and yes, rip anything they come into contact with. I have this lovely club chair and ottoman I like to sit and watch TV or crochet in, but usually it's a frellin' mess.  When I clean it up The Boys want to sit there and don't clean up when they're done.  Recently they put small tear in the leather than has turned into a full-on gash.


Nice, huh? I thought about making a slip cover for it. I have a little of the fabric left over from my bench redo. The only thing is, even with a sharp new cover, I still needed to control the gaping hole in my ottoman. Classy gal that I am, my mind immediately went to duct tape.

But wait! The last time I was at the local craft store I saw a whole bin of crazy colored duct tape. They had neon, metallic and even some prints. While the zebra print didn't do much for me I could definitely see some spotted leopard in my living room. Armed with my 40% off coupon I purchased my funky duct tape.


Then I slowly taped the monster rip, bringing all the seams together. After closing the hole I laid the strips of leopard duct tape from one side of the ottoman to the other, smoothing it out as went along. This is a bit of the finished product.

These images are a bit more grainy since they were taken on my phone, but I wanted to be able to show my mom right away. She was appropriately impressed. For the price of a roll of duct tape I was able to save my leather ottoman. Now that is thrifty!

 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape.




I'm posting this at:

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I want some duct tape like that.

    ReplyDelete