Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mid-century Table Redo

Years ago when my grandmother was moving from her home to a retirement community she gave her table with a black & white metal top and seriously painted over wood. It was wobbly and the drawer was being held together by duct tape. 

My grandmother passed away on 28th birthday, while I was pregnant with my first son. I lost 3 grandparents in the space of a year (my maternal grandfather had died back in 1984) so the items that I have from my grandparents are all the more special to me. It's probably for that reason that I've been afraid to redo this table. 

This is a picture taken at my MIL's birthday dinner a few years ago. That's my beautiful SIL on the left, me in the middle and my MIL on the right. Next to my MIL is a hand that points to the table. What table you ask? Yeah, I know, but for as long as I've had this thing I can't believe I don't have a better picture. Still you get the idea.

See the hand pointing to the table?
I've had this table in various places in my home over the years. I've moved it to different homes at least three times and around my current home annually. I've always thought that I'd put my own touch to it, but like I said, I was scared of ruining it. Finally this year, with the creation of our homeschool classroom I decided to just tackle the project. 

Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

Some sanding, a coat of primer, more sanding, 3 coats of Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze and top of clear coat. I repeated the process with the drawer using Krylon Banner Red. I had left over metallic silver auto paint from a car we had long since sold so I used it up by touching up the handle. 

While I was painting the table I repaired the broken drawer with wood glue and small finishing nails. The Dad helped me by tightening the rusted bolts that were making the table wobble.

I'm really pleased how this came out. Thanks for checking out the lasted and greatest around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment