Friday, November 2, 2012

Thankful Day 2

I am thankful that I get to spend so much time with my sons.

I left my job after I had my first son back in 1999. I actually went on maternity leave at the end of 1998 because of complications with my pregnancy. I had fully intended to return to work after my 12 weeks of leave under the Family Medical Leave Act, but my plan wasn't the one we were to follow. 

After 36 hours of labor my OB informed me that I wasn't progressing as much as she would like. Actually what she said was the baby via c-section since his fetal heart rate was showing signs of distress and I agreed by telling her I didn't care if he came FedEx just make sure he's okay. Within 10 minutes I was under the bright surgical light. We spent the next 8 days in NICU and then the fool hospital sent that helpless baby home with us. What were they thinking?!

The first week was spent in the hospital so by the time 8 weeks rolled around I wasn't sure I could turn my baby over to someone else. My husband knew at this point that I wouldn't be going back to my job, but he had to wait for me come to that conclusion on my own. I was a child of the Working Girl 80's and I could do it all! 

But I didn't want to it all. I wanted to do with less to be able to stay home with my baby and then later with my second baby.

This month marks my 14th year at home with my kiddos. I've done work along the way that has allowed me to remain involved and available in their lives. I surely haven't made a lot of money, but I think the time together has been worth it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment